Waldoboro, Maine


Community Information


It was part of the Waldo Patent purchased about 1720 by General Samuel Waldo of Boston. First called Broad Bay, the village was settled between 17331740, but thereupon suffered a devastating attack by Indians allied with New France during King George's War. Houses were burned and inhabitants killed or carried away as captives. Survivors fled to the nearby settlements of St. George or Pemaquid. But peace returned with the 1748 On June 29, 1773, the township was incorporated as Waldoborough, named for the original proprietor. Waldoboro became county seat of Lincoln County in 1786, but the designation would shift to Wiscasset in 1880. Farms produced hay and potatoes. The Knox and Lincoln Railroad arrived and spurred the town's development. Industries would include an iron foundry, an oakum mill, a carding and cloth-dressing mill, a grain mill, sawmills and planing mills, furniture and molding mills, a door, sash and blind factory, and a carriage factory. There were also marble and granite yards and a pottery. But ship building was the principal business, with eight large vessels built in 1880.[2] Waldoboro was the launching port for the Governor Ames in 1888, the first five masted schooner.[3] The Governor Ames was built in Waldoboro's Leavitt Storer Shipyard.[4] A port of entry, the town features an 1857 custom house designed by Ammi B. Young

Community Vacation Homes